Monday, March 15, 2010

Explore Paris: Chateau de Fontainebleau

At this point, I am so far behind in my posting (my apologies!) that I will be posting some very brief descriptions... Hopefully, you can still taste a little of the magic of Ile de France, the area surrounding Paris. To visit Fontainebleau, we caught a 45 minute train and then a quick bus. All things considered, it was a pretty easy process; I'm thankful for France's affordable public transportation!

Although not as grand as Versailles, the Chateau de Fontainebleau certainly has its own dramatic facade:
This chateau was occupied by (and redesigned/updated) by many French kings over the years, including the emperor Napoleon I. The interior, therefore, is quite eclectic and lavish:
I especially appreciated Napoleon's office where his desk was literally larger than his bed. Haha for the short man:
So although the grounds are not nearly as impressive as Versailles, you can see that the interior is very impressive... More impressive than Versailles, in my opinion. There are some very pretty gardens, though:
And Keeley and I had a great time visiting and wandering around the area. Fontainebleau may not have the fame of Versailles, but it has some incredible decor, some impressive views, and almost a thousand years of history... Worth a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment