Friday, February 4, 2011

Stop 3: Naples and the Amalfi Coast

Visiting Italy was, of course, fun. But visiting Italy AND getting to see my big brother was divine. He showed us the best parts of the "armpit of Italy." So Naples might not be as glamorous as it sounds - trash pick up is run by the mafia in the area and is therefore rather unreliable... but it definitely has its high points.

We started with an incredible meal at a restaurant down a back alley. Seriously, I have no idea how this place stays in business; it was almost impossible to find. The place felt so Italian, with a lively, comfortable atmosphere.
And the food was spectacular. It was served family style, with dish after dish coming out and all the wine you could drink. The meat course came on a sizzling skillet:
We ate for hours...

The next day, we drove down the Amalfi coast. Our first stop was Sorrento, which was adorable despite the rain.
Gorgeous canyon views:
Nice shopping:
And lots of lemon products, mostly alcohol and candy (the area is known for its lemons):
The highlight there, though, was our lunch (not surprising, right?). We ate at a beautiful restaurant with spectacular food and a very kind wait staff:
Oliver was most popular client of the day:
So fun!
We continued down the coast toward the town of Amalfi and took in the breathtaking views:
Stopping in Amalfi for a few more pictures and some gelato (who cares if it was 40 degrees outside - we were in Italy!):
We also went to downtown Naples for pizza at the original pizzeria and coffee at the beautiful Gambrinus, but somehow I didn't end up with any pictures from that... Too busy eating I guess. :)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I was about to say I can't wait to see it all and then realized you were visiting Italy and live in France...oh well I will just be glad to see pretty things with the Paxtons :)

    I love Oli's expression in the last picture. I feel like he is saying "don't forget about me all bundled up down here."

    ReplyDelete