Saturday, November 17, 2012

Good Ol' Wimberley Texas

I'm jumping back to August in an attempt to catch up... plus I figured I'd draw out the suspense even more from my pumpkin patch teaser (over a month ago!  gasp!).  Anyway, we were OVERJOYED in August to have two of our precious friends from France visit for a few days.  Katy (originally from Alabama) and Cami (from the Loire valley, about two hours south of Paris) and their daughter Julia Kate (almost exactly one year younger than Oliver) and their little boy on the way came to Houston for an evening and then drove to Wimberley for the weekend with us.

Yes.  Four adults. One of whom was very pregnant. Two toddlers.  One infant.  One suburban.  And a 3+ hour car ride each way.  So. fun.

Cami, who loves everything American and Southern, had never been to Texas, so we wanted to give him a real taste...  Therefore, we had to stop at Luling City BBQ on the way:

In Wimberley, we stayed at Sabino Ranch, home of my grandparents dear friends.  [Quick history - my grandparents lived in Wimberley the whole time I was growing up.  I visited every summer, and Chris and I were actually married there.  Recently, my grandmother sold her house there and moved to Houston to be closer to family.  We're glad to have her here but so sad to be separated from Wimberley.  I count myself so blessed to have family friends like the Johnsons who welcomed us onto their ranch and into their guest house for the weekend!]  Oliver absolutely ate. it. up.  Climbing fences:

Drooling over the motor pool:

And wanting to test drive each vehicle:



We walked down to Blue Hole (which, for those of you familiar with it and Wimberley, happens to be on the Johnson's land, just a three minute walk from the guest house):

And enjoyed the gorgeous cypress-lined swimming hole:


The next morning, Oliver requested another trip to the motor pool:

And we dragged Katy and Cami along to take in the Texas ranch experience:

We, of course, paid another visit to the water:

And enjoyed the gorgeous weather by eating outside:

That afternoon, we drove to one of the Texas Hill Country's little vineyards and basked in the view:



We sat for an hour or so under the trees:
And played with the kids:


Oliver actually took this picture - talented, huh?

And don't I just have the most handsome husband ever?

Julia Kate, true to her half-French heritage, was enjoying the empty bouteille de vin (and I had to get a pic!):

That evening, we visited the hill-country staple, the Salt Lick.  We enjoyed the live music (Oli is a good tipper):

Cami and Julia Kate danced the night away:

Oliver threw rocks (and thoroughly enjoyed himself!):

And I even got a pic with my sweet husband - a rarity!

We had SO much fun with these friends, and we only look forward to more memories.  Love and miss you guys!!!

1 comment:

  1. The swimming hole looks so pretty, even to a girl who's terrified of water (there could be snapping turtles...or alligators...or sharks...or the leviathan). Thanks for sharing your trip to Wimberley - now I want to come to Texas, too!

    ReplyDelete