Sunday, June 3, 2012

In the meantime...

I keep saying (in my once-per-century posts) since we've moved back from Paris that a lot has been happening.  A LOT.  But you don't have to take my word for it...  I am going to (try to!) show you in picture form.  Here is my (yet again, I know) attempt to begin catching up on the blog.  And, since I know so many of my friends are interested in home design and decor, I thought you might like to see some of this.  If you're not one of those friends, just delete this one and come back when I return to posts about my adorable sons. :)

When we arrived back from Paris in December, we immediately began cleaning the "boy" (i.e. my 24-year-old brother and his two friends, our tenants while we were overseas) out of our home.  No offense, John, but it had to be done.  Then between Christmas and New Years, we remodeled the remaining two bathrooms in our 1950's home.  We had remodeled the tiny black and pink master bath (alas! no before pic...) just prior to leaving for Paris:

And though we had begun preparations for all three at that time, we could only fit in the one before our move, leaving us with two vanities (which I purchased in Round Top in April of 2009 and refinished myself) and two bowl sinks wasting away in our garage.  Finally, they were put to good use.

The hall bath, though our largest and the only one with a bath tub, was very difficult to photograph because it was long and skinny, but I did my best.  Here is the before:



And the after (which, I didn't realize until later, unfortunately doesn't include a picture of the vanity, which had carved claw feet and other cool details... bummer):

The "West Wing" bath (as we called it, since this suite was separated from the other bedrooms of the house and, as you probably guessed, on the west side) was the most neutral of the originals, but seriously in need of updating, nonetheless:



We ended up with some different things that I had originally thought I wanted (like the shower door and some more modern tile than I had imagined), but I was really pleased with the overall result:


The bead board echoes our choices in the kitchen (which we remodeled around 2007):

I also threw together a nursery for Oliver (with as little on the walls as possible since we were about to have to take it down anyway!):

And after a lot of cleaning and yard work and new insulation, we put the house on the market late January.  Thankfully, it sold quickly and we began our search for our new home... which is another story in itself.  More to come on that.

2 comments: