Oliver has started at the creche three mornings per week: MWF, from 8-12 (though we usually don't go until about 9, since he often doesn't wake up until about 8:15 - I love the flexibility!). First of all, I love the ladies there; they have all been so kind, not only to Oliver but also to his pregnant and pathetically-poor-French-speaking mother. They always ask how I'm feeling and have no problem repeating themselves multiple times when I don't understand. SO kind! I love the games they play and the playground they have and the way they make the kids clean up their own toys. Plus, since the age group is 15-36 months, Oliver (at 16 months) is the youngest of the group, but the older kids are so kind to him! They have "adopted" him, as the workers tell me, all wanting to hold his hand and help him do things.
Thankfully, my mother was still visiting to help me with the first week. They have an "adaptation" process, where I stay and play with him at the creche the first day, then we slowly shorten the time that I am there. It's a really cool system, and they let my mom stay, too, and we had fun talking to the workers (my mom's French is way better than mine!). By Friday, he was ready for his half day on his own. And, sadly, my mom flew out that day. So, Dad and I took Oliver to his first normal day of school.
First of all, he was a very happy boy that morning. Although our elevator is terribly dark, I couldn't resist taking a few pics of his adorable, giggling face:

We then walked to school (which is just about a 10 minute walk - so convenient!), and Oliver decided he wanted to wear his backpack. He was telling his dad something very important (and completely unintelligible, of course) when I took this picture:

He posed with Daddy for a few cute photos:


And eventually was ready to go:

The creche is at the end of this really cool alleyway, lined with two-story, timbered homes (they look to be 16th century, I'm guessing? But alas, I didn't get them in the photos... I'll take more later, I promise), with gorgeous greenery. So I couldn't resist as they walked down the alley towards school:

I can't believe how fast my little one is growing up!!
Oh my backpack and overalls! Rachel, he looks adorable and so comfortable with it! I'm so glad God has blessed y'all with that particular day care!
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, Rachel...these pictures are to die for. I wish I could come hang out with you all!
ReplyDeleteOliver + overalls + backpack = too much cuteness for me to handle! Can't wait to see y'all soon!!
ReplyDelete